Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Agreeable

I'm not someone who needs people to agree with her. In fact, I respect differences of opinion. Although it is very reassuring to be agreed with.

For example, I was still debating whether or not to take 2 classes in the Fall semester. Part of me wondered if I was just disorganized, unprepared and procrastinating got me in this mess. Maybe if I tweaked and streamlined a few things, I would succeed much better with the 2 classes at once. Today is registration day so yesterday I emailed my adviser letting her know that I was thinking of reducing to one class per session, but still may take 2. She replied that it was refreshing to hear I was thinking of reducing and that many students rush through and don't get the full experience and enjoy or appreciate the class as much. She seemed fully supportive and that was really cool. Also I think that taking one class at at time allows me to focus, do more librarian interviewing and networking, maybe volunteer at a library and get more out of my class versus just doing assignments and keeping up with work.

I've found that the more important things about life and career isn't necessarily the work you do, but the people you know and the relationships you build. Of course the work is important, but that's not necessarily everything. There's a balance of relationships and work that must be kept.

Anyway on top of that my online group projects have stressed me out because honestly I'm behind on the work and research, and my group was suggesting to do their own thing and not really follow the professor's instructions on the project. I kept saying nicely that we should probably do as the professor assigned and not get creative and do something else. I finally had one of my classmates email an agreement with me - oh that was sweet sweet reassurance. I thought I was going nutts with the other members trying to pull the project in a different direction. Anyway we have a skype date this Sunday and we'll see if we can workout a good way to divide the work and get going on the project. It's pretty close to deadline so it's a bit stressing.

Of course my husband agrees with me a lot and I don't always appreciate it. I think he's biased, but of course, he and I are together because we think alike and are compatible with a lot of things. He agreed with me on both of the above, but there's something about a stranger or acquaintance agreeing with you - that makes you feel more validated. Like they have no vested interest and they're different or more removed from you so it's cool when you feel like you're not alone in your ideas. Anyway, so that's that. It must be the social animal in us that likes to have agreement and feel a common connection with people.


No comments:

Post a Comment