Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A day that will live in infamy


So Tuesday was a very wild roller coaster ride with my health.

The weekend left me feeling very sneezy, stuffed up, sneezy and sick on Monday. Overall it was a good weekend but tiring. We had stayed up late on Sunday night to watch LOST and the Jimmy Kimmel show. Had family over Sunday along with a day of bike riding and walking through downtown Ventura California on Saturday.

So Tuesday morning rolls around, and I feel tired and stuffed up, but overall ok so I decide to go into work. I carpool with the husband - and he drops me off and takes the car and house keys with him far far away. I get to work about 7:30am and slowly start to feel terrible, and I mean terrible! I was ready to clock out and sleep on the couch or walk to the Library next door and sleep off my sick until I could get picked up to go home. My wonderful department offered to take me home, and I almost did for lunch, but I had no house keys. By about 9:30-10am I was so nauseous I considered calling my sister-in-law to pick me up and let me sleep at her house. Last resort I decided to stand outside for a bit of fresh air to see if it helped, and it did.

Oh my goodness, how the fresh air helped. Not sure what it was, but I would feel very nauseous indoors, and go outside and slowly start to feel better. For a little while I was walking outside every few minutes, but that was drawing too much attention so I stuck my head out the window for a bit and turned on the fan in the office. This all seemed to help.

By the time lunch came around I felt better, and able to do work and manage, but still had a headache. A coworker said it looked like I had a sinus infection - why I had the headache and the sneeziness. He recommended a sinus flush - gross - and some nasel sprays. Later in the afternoon I thought to myself, since I was feeling so sick and taking all sorts of pills and trying to eat fruit to make it go away, I completely forgot my regular cup of tea or coffee. The headache might be from caffeine withdrawal. One cup of tea and an hour later, I'm feeling oh so much better. It's about 4pm, and I went from almost throwing up on people to jazzed and feeling great. The great feeling that comes after feeling like shit for most of the morning and some of the afternoon.

Oh how important it is to pay attention to your body and your health. I took sinus sudafed, multivitamin, vitamin c, got some fresh air and caffeine, and I think all that put together put me right again. Just wanted to share that. It really does feel great when your day ends so much nicer than it started. I actually feel better - really better. Now I will pay much more attention to my sinus issues, perhaps schedule an appointment to see a doctor finally, and also keep track of my caffeine intake. Overall I think my sinuses need attention, as I usually get weather headaches and they can definitely take over when it gets bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment