Sunday, March 3, 2013

Camping!

Husband and I went camping for the very first time ever together! It was at my mother in law's backyard, but still - the ultimate adventure!

Husband & I requested camping gear for our wedding 3 years ago, as we planned on camping up and down California. We got some great stuff, but never went. I'm planning for my birthday and I wanted to go camping finally. Since we're super rusty on camping, decided to try everything out and figure out if we're the camping types.

I definitely am. Husband, still deciding. Lol. I don't mind roughing if, being a little stinky and uncomfortable, and not having all my creature comforts. I think it gives me a challenge and makes me more creative.

The everyday ease of life is removed, and we are faced with prioritizing bare essentials - food, shelter, warmth, etc. Sort of helps you appreciate the running water & comfort of your kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. Lighting is another huge difference. It gets dark and cold, so fires, flashlights and warmth become priority. No tv or internet. It's like going back to the basics.

Then there's nature. I loved breathing the fresh night air as I was snug in my sleeping bag. We took the "roof" off our tent & I could lie down, look up and see the night sky and like 3 stars living in LA. You can hear birds & creatures. You saw green and wild around you.

It's uncomfortable and unusual, in a really good and healthy way. It takes a ton of planning and as we found out the safe way with mom 20 feet away, we still need to get a ton of stuff to be totally prepared. It was more to get comfortable with our gear and figure out if its something we want to do. For me, this weekend confirmed that I really want to go camping.

Camping puts you literally outside your box, and I think that's why I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment