Sunday, January 20, 2013

Observations on Environment

I was cleaning, watering my plants and rearranging them in the house today. I noticed this guy. He was a really sick plant awhile ago. He had a brother plant, same kind. I bought them both at the same time, from the same place - twins! They were supposed to both get indirect light. One plant, let's call him Shady, did wonderfully in the house. The other plant, let's call him Sickly, always wilted, dwindled and just seemed to wither. After having them both for a couple of years, you could tell the difference between the twins. It was sad and I kept trying different things with Sickly. We did different water quantities over time, different places in the house, and he just never seemed to get healthy.

Then one day, I was cleaning & rearranging the plants in the house again, and I noticed Sickly was doing slightly better. He wasn't withering, but maintaining. So I watched him for a few weeks and realized the place he was sitting got like some direct sunlight for a very slight part of the day. Most of the other house plants react badly to direct sunlight also per their instructions so they're fine most anywhere in the house. This one, well, he was different.

So I found a corner of our house next to the window that got the most regular direct sunlight. He got better! :)

So here he is many months later. We got rid of our broken TV recently, so Sickly, now renamed Sunny, has taken up where the TV used to sit. It gets tons of natural direct sunlight and he's doing really good.

I was just reflecting on it today. How two of the same plants can thrive so well in two different environments. How we can be sick, but maybe we just need a change in environment, some direct sunshine to thrive. It's a bit of the New Years Resolution talk I suppose. So be encouraged! We can get better in the right environment, and this is proof :)

No comments:

Post a Comment