Sunday, May 1, 2011

3rd Sunday

Hello again Sunday. New day to rethink and restart a healthier lifestyle. Overall the past 2 weeks I think I've been about 20% healthier. It's not much, but at least it's a start.

Goals

This week, I want to actively try eating slower. I did it a few times this week and it seemed to work, so I want to try it as my new thing of the week. I eat fast in general. Sometimes I'm starving and I eat too fast and feel sick afterwards. When I actively tried to slow down eating, I found I felt full and wanted to leave the rest for leftovers, no matter how yummy it was. The crazy hunger thing only lasts a little while and if I can hold out, I can avoid all the extra calories. So will actively try savoring every bite, chewing more to get all the nutrients and eating slower.

My finals are this week and thank goodness because I cannot wait to be done! It will give me more free time to work on my exercises. I don't want to force myself to the gym with a rigid schedule because it never works. I also want the option to do little exercises at home, outside for walks, or other types of workouts, not just at the gym. I want to give myself flexibility yet a specific exercise goal. I also want to work on my perspective about workouts. I don't like calling it exercise or gym time because that's limiting as well. It implies work. I think I'll call my workouts "strengthening exercises" for now. This is true. I'm working on strengthening my body's muscles and flexibility.

So now to set the goal. I think I'll work on doing 20 minutes a day of "strengthening exercises". This can be gym time. This can also be taking two 10 minute breaks throughout the day to walk during work. It might be at home stretching or going on a quick after work walk. It could be bouncing on my trampoline. 20 minutes daily is do-able, no matter what with school or not.

In order to avoid overload, I think every 4th week, no new change or updates to my healthy lifestyle. It'll be a break and a way to reflect on my current lifestyle, see what's working, so I know what to tweak and what to keep or do new. So this will be all for now.

Motivators

One other thing that got me motivated. My mom has been dieting and doing really well. She is now 122 lbs, and her goal is 115. I'm a bit competitive so I want to reduce and eat healthy so I can beat her :) Although I must NOT focus on the weight, because I have NEVER taken off weight by focusing on the weight. I've got to focus on other parts of the healthy lifestyle.

As I'm writing this looking out my window, I see our neighbors who like to smoke on their balcony a lot. Probably at least 6 or 7 times a day. The girl is gigantic. She's the loud one who likes to talk about her gynecology appointments on her cellphone on the balcony so everyone can hear. She says she has trouble quitting smoking and she just keeps gaining weight. Such an inspiration. What could happen if you don't change your ways.

Also - I started wearing a piece of jewelry to remind me to live healthier. It's like my own version of a kabbalah red string bracelet or a WWJD plastic bracelet. It's a little ornamental ring that's all viney and pretty. I suppose if you want to get sentimental or metaphorical about it, you could say it's a way to remind that living healthy will make me well rooted, help me grow and blossom beautifully. So whenever the urge to indulge in french fries or eat an entire family size bag of chips, I may just get the smaller size or opt for the healthier snack when I reach out and see my ring. It might also help me keep everything else in perspective, to avoid the overwork or the over indulgences. Finding the middle way. The goal is to get the ring to fit comfortably on my middle finger, for the middle way.

Wk 1 - Eat 70/30
Wk 2 - Standing Desk + Water
Wk 3 - Savour food and eat slowly + daily 20 minute strengthening exercises.
Weight today = 143 lbs! :) 2 lbs less than week 1.

WHEN I reach 140, I will give myself a present. Not sure what yet, but I will :)


No comments:

Post a Comment