Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tea Soup




So, I've decided to try or do, one new thing a day. That'll be a running theme in my blog. We'll see how this works.

Anyway today's new thing is tea soup - or - Top Chef Ramen. Joking around with a coworker on how to get creative with my mish-mash meal of Watermelon, Chicken and Ramen, I decide to try something different. The inspiration came from "cooking" my Ramen noodles next to the teas at work. I remembered an old dish we used to have in Malaysia called Bakkutteh. Basically it's a soup made with tea as an ingredient. I decide to spice up my Ramen with some black tea.

After heating up the noodles in the hot water/microwave, I steep the tea for a few minutes, then drain most of the water and add the beef seasoning. I know most people like their Ramen as soup, but I like my Ramen dry with just noodles.

Anyway it turned out pretty tasty. The aroma was good and the taste had a little extra special flavor, not super tea like but still good. I looked up a few recipes and there are quite a few tea based soups. It sounds bizarre, but actually it makes a lot of sense to put tea into soups.

Anyway that's my new thing of today. Black Tea Ramen soup :)

1 comment: