Sunday, February 17, 2013

I am a librarian!

I am a librarian!

Well, sort of :) See, I'm getting my Masters in Library Science and so far no dice in getting a library job until I have my degree. I'm almost done, so I've been chasing any opportunity to volunteer or help out at any library. The public libraries don't really want any volunteers in library school because of budget cuts and politics, so no luck.

A few weeks ago though, my church library was looking for volunteers. It's a tiny room full of books on religion and a totally old school volunteer library. I applied, and luckily was contacted and they want me for approximately an hour a week!!!

Today I trained - first day! The library matriarch who runs the show is sick, so she sent her granddaughter who showed me around a bit and we chatted. She was very nice and we got along really well. I was super excited because they manage their library completely old school - with typewriter, card catalogs and actual old school library due date cards in the books. It is a super quiet, non-busy and special library of only Catholic religious books, audio, dvds and such. Apparently the people who visit most are nuns, few parish members and a priest now and then. There is a ton of opportunity to learn how to be a librarian, how to manage a small special collection and hopefully ways to improve and make things better. I am so excited!!! NERDY to the max.

So ya. There was some awkwardness as the other volunteer whose shift I will be taking over, was there and surprised someone was there to take over her shift, so... ya. More on that later I guess. Otherwise I'll be learning about managing the collection at our local church. OMG I'm so excited.

Apparently the collection is mainly for adults. I thought of developing a children's library area as I would love to manage that. As the church also manages a Catholic school K-8 I think, it would be a great opportunity to give kids access to materials for reading and learning - of course Catholic based books and media and all.

I appreciate the good luck of this all, and hope I can really learn and enjoy it all. Thanks God :) he he.

No comments:

Post a Comment